with Vegetable chutney.
Idli - a traditional breakfast/snack in South Indian households.
A steamed dumpling made by steaming a fermented batter consisting of black lentils (urad dal) and rice.
This is a variation of the popular dish using Semolina instead of lentils and rice.
Chutney plays a very multiple role in indian cuisine and an important ingredient while serving a variety of snacks to breakfast items - idly, dosa, samosa, and so on as they add their own flavor and taste.
A variety of vegetables and fruits can be used to concoct this delightfyl side-dish - coconut, mint, coriander, mango, peanut, and tomato. Garnished with garlic, tamarind, red chili, green chili, lime, cumin, fenugreek, asafoetida.
Ingredients in this color: purchase in silketie
Rava Idly - Preparation
Peel and grate the carrot fine.
If using frozen peas, let thaw at room temperature.
Roast the semolina in a shallow pan until crisp.
The semolina colour will change to a very light brown.
Keep stirring constantly to avoid over-roasting.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in slow fire.
Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
Now add the urad dal and channa dal and fry until they turn light brown.
- Add the carrot and peas and a little bit of salt.
Once done, add this mixture to the roasted semolina.
Transfer to a glass bowl.
Allow to cool.
- Whisk the yoghurt until it is light. If required add little water.
Evenly add this to the semolina mixture little by little, mixing constantly.
Make sure the mixture forms a smooth batter.
- Add a pinch of cooking soda to the batter.
Close the bowl and allow to rest for 20-25 mins.
- Lay the batter in an idly cooker with the cashew nut on top.
Steam in an idly cooker for 15 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Vegetable Chutney - Preparation
- Chop the onion and tomatoes into small cubes.
- Heat 2 tbps of oil in a shallow pan.
- Add the urad dhal and channa dhal and sauté until it is roasted brown
- Add the red chillies and sauté
- Now add the onion and sauté until the onion has turned brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté until it is well cooked and tender
- Add salt and allow the mixture to cool
- Grind in a blender until it is a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan.
When the oil is hot add mustard seeds.
Once the mustard seeds splutter, add it to the chutney and serve.